Want to throw a kids’ vintage tea party but unsure how to get started? We have pulled together a golden list of top tips that will pull you back in time and get you well on your way to creating a delectably vintage style kids’ tea party! And forget about blowing your budget, here you will find plenty of thrifty creative ways to make a remarkably vintage statement – plus it’s all so easy to do. Imagine Downton Abbey for little people, minus the costly extravagance (and storyline).
> At home, in the garden or at a hall? Let’s get decorating!
No matter where you choose to have the party, there’s plenty of decorating ideas to bring vintage into modern day. Think floral, lace and pearls – now let’s translate that into party decorating:
1. Fill space with ornate mirrors – find ornate old-world mirrors at charity shops and car boot sales. Use them as menu boards by painting the glass with chalkboard paint. Drape costume jewellery over them and have them dotted in corners around the party venue.
2. Old dresser to party table – bring out the aged dresser or chest of drawers and use it as a party table to serve sweet treats and hold the party cake! Fill the drawers with retro sweet bags, and decorate with lace and strings of beads.
3. Hanging tea cups – you will find plenty of old bone china teacups in charity shops, string them up to the ceiling or trees if the party is outdoors. Just be make sure they’re safely strung and not in the way of party guests!
4. Flowers in recycled jars – nothing says vintage tea party quite like freshly picked flowers. Round up some used glass jars and bottles, decorate with lace or lengths of fabric and string, then pop in your fresh blooms and place on the party table. Add some food colouring to the water to match the party’s colour theme.
5. Lace curtain tablecloth – cover the party table with a net or lace curtain, use an underlay to match the party’s colour scheme.
6. Lace curtain photo booth – string up lace or net curtains to create a photo booth, then add an old suitcase nearby filled with vintage props, like beaded necklaces and over-sized hats.
> The vintage style party table
See top picks from our party shop to set your party table, from floral paper plates and cups, to straws, cake stands and pretty napkins. Click on the image below to be taken to the party shop and see our full vintage party range.
> Vintage tea party invitations
Download your free vintage tea party invitation here, print them as A5 – or edit and email.
See much more kids’ vintage tea party inspiration by following us on Pinterest here!
> Not keen to recreate your own vintage tea party? Betty Blythe in London runs charming children’s vintage tea parties, have a look here.
PS: Party activity? See our kids’ candle in a teacup tutorial here – great for older children to make.